Wednesday, March 08, 2006

CBC "Clayton's" Awards




Last night I went to the CBC "Clayton's" Awards night, where experts try to second guess the announcement of the CBC shortlist. Nerida, Barbara, Robyn T, Meg, Lyn, Carly, Sonia, and Robyn K were there too.
There were too many books I had not read at all. How embarassing! At least I had heard of most of them.
The ones I have read were

Once by Morris Gleitzman
I loved this one because it introduces the subject of the holocaust from the point of view of a child who is still too young to understand prejudice. His naivity is offset by resilience giving the story a balance and leaving the reader with hope.
It is interesting to compare this to The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas by Johhn Boyne which is also recently published, and although it features a 9 year old boy, it is not a book for a young audience. This tale is a fable with sinister undertones. It seems to me to point out that children cannot understand the prejudice and horror of the holocaust because they are too young, but if, as adults, if we view the same evidence and choose not to understand its impact on the lives of others it is because we are acting as childen not adults.

How Hedley Hopkins Did A Dare, Robbed A Grave, Made A New Friend Who Might Not Really Have Been There At All And While He Was At It Committed A Terrible Sin Which Everyone Was Doing Even Though He Didn't Know It ..... by Paul Jennings
Well fancy Paul Jennings and Moris Gleitzman both being choosen for a literary awrd (albeit a Clayton's one) in the same year. Both these popular authors are very rarely shortlisted because of the very elements that make them so popular! (They both shockingly often make reference to bodily functions and other unmentionables.)
Hedly Hopkins is a funny book that I found immediately appealing. I loved the intertwining of the personal (masturbation), the unmentionable (people with intellictual disablites) and the unknowable (aboriginal culture and sensibilities). and how Hedley faces then all at once!

Dogboy by Victor Kelleher
I might not have taken this one home to read over the holidays but for its appealing title and a personal recommendation from Cam. I am glad I read it. It certainly has a compelling beginning with a baby being born and immediately abandoned on the hillside, swept away by a flash flood, adopted by a dog, facing an uncertain upbringing on the outskirts of the village. But I felt the later stages of the story which takes us into the 'city' society has not the same impact and loses its way a little.

Other people from Wesley had read lots of the titles mentioned. Robyn T. was very pleased with the picture books mentioned as they were many of her favourites.

Other titles mentioned were
Short and incredible life of Reilly
Rex
Irving the Magician
Castles
A monster wrote me a letter
Little boys (Yes it is about little red sausages!)
Memory book
Helicopter man
Mostly true story of Matthew and Trim
Slightly bruised glory of Cedar B. Hartley
Chasing Charlie Duskin
Bad,bad thing
No worries
Theodora's gift

The list includes

  • 2 sequels (Slightly bruised... and Theodora's gift - although the latter is 18 years after the first book)
  • 3 potrayals of mental illness (Helicopter man, How Hedley Hopkins... and No worries)
  • 2 by Ursual Dubosarsky (Rex and Theodora's gift)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home